I will be the first person to tell you that I am not super creative or artsy like some of my friends. But I do like feeding people well and saving money when I can. Those traits usually send me and the kids to the kitchen, where we whip up some tasty treats to share. Don’t get me wrong – the kids don’t always want to hang out with me OR spend time in the kitchen…so I have to fly solo on occasion.
Last year, people LOVED our spice rub mix. But what they probably loved even more was the cute jar and baby spoon that was attached. All of the credit for that goes to my daughter – she has an eye for that sort of thing.
This year, I was more pressed for time and simply whipped up a double batch of this awesome granola recipe (from my upcoming book, The Whole Family Cookbook, due out in April!)
From What’s Cooking with Kids, The Whole Family Cookbook
4 cups oats (not quick cooking)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/3 cup Dried Fruit, such as cranberries, raisins, currants, blueberries or cherries
1/4 cup sunflower seeds , (without shells)
1/4 cup Pumpkin seeds
3 tablespoons flax seeds
1/4 cup dried and shredded coconut
1/2 cup nuts, chopped almonds, walnuts, pecans or cashews
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon.
If using, add shredded coconut, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, flax seeds and nuts.
- In a separate bowl, combine honey, oil and vanilla.
- Pour honey mixture over the oat mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the granola mixture onto a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Bake at 300℉ for 25-30 minutes, stirring gently every 10 minutes, so that the mixture doesn’t burn.
- After the mixture comes out of the oven, add any dried fruit of your choice: currants, raisins, cranberries, blueberries or cherries
- Once the mixture has cooled, store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
Have you made gifts from the kitchen before? What are your favorites?
Get a FREE Cook & Learn Activity!
As a subscriber, you'll get free Cook and Learn Activities with kids, simple recipes and special offers delivered right to your inbox!