I am a softie. A rescuer. Maybe that’s why students used to ask if they could eat lunch in my classroom. It’s certainly why I brought home Hamlet, a rescue dog, just two months before our adopted son came home from Guatemala. I was yearning to nurture – and there was a delay in our adoption paperwork. And so, just like that, Hamlet helped to fill the void.
Suddenly, three nights ago, Hamlet collapsed and I rushed him to the emergency veterinary clinic. I’ll spare you the unpleasant details, but I intuitively knew that it would be a one-way trip for our old man. He was bleeding into his abdominal cavity, most likely from a hidden tumor that had burst. It was time to say goodbye to the sweet boy who used to fart under the kitchen table, click along the hardwood floor, and jump up and down, as if he had springs in his feet, when it was time for breakfast and dinner.
Doggone Cheesy Crackers
By Michelle Stern, What’s Cooking with Kids
2 cups minced parsley
1/2 cup carrots, chopped very fine
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 3/4 cups flour
2 tablespoons wheat germ
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 to 1 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and put the rack on middle level. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- Cut parsley with kitchen scissors, a pizza cutter or knife.
- Put parsley in a large bowl.
- Use a Food Chopper or knife to cut the carrots into very small pieces.
- Add them to the bowl with the parsley.
- Grate the mozzarella cheese. Add to the bowl with the parsley and carrots. Mix together.
- Add the oil and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. When they are well mixed, add to the vegetable and cheese mixture.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup of water, mixing well. Make a moist but not wet dough. If needed, add a little more water. Knead for one minute.
- Form dough into marble-sized balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until biscuits have browned and hardened slightly. (They will harden more as they cool.) Store in airtight tin.
Get a FREE Cook & Learn Activity!
As a subscriber, you'll get free Cook and Learn Activities with kids, simple recipes and special offers delivered right to your inbox!