No Time for Breakfast? Try these Birdseed Muffins

bird seed muffins“Mom, did you put bird seed in these muffins?” was the comment I got from my daughter mid-bite.  She quickly told me how good they are and then proceeded to say that millet was delicious and it was no wonder the birds outside drained our feeders so fast!

I have been a fan of Heidi Swanson for awhile. Her talent in the kitchen and with a camera is indisputable and is clearly apparent in her new book, Super Natural Every Day.  I could hardly believe that it arrived the day after I ordered it on Amazon – it was like they knew how eager I was to drool my way through the pages.

Anyway – back to the practical…The morning juggle in our home can be quite a challenge, especially now that our son has moved to a different school.  There’s nothing like driving kids to separate schools before the coffee kicks in.

To make our mornings more efficient, I thought it would be nice to have some healthy muffins on hand that we could grab quickly before we hit the road.  And they didn’t disappoint!

What is your family’s favorite go-to healthy and speedy breakfast?

This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to No Time for Breakfast? Try these Birdseed Muffins

1. April says:

We keep a loaf of Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin Bread in the freezer, and on busy mornings we toast it up with cream cheese and a piece of fruit. Yum in a hurry.

2. Laurel says:

Smoothies are our quick breakfast!

3. Michelle T says:

sounds yummmy! I didn’t even know there was aluminum free baking soda.

4. Shannon Baukhages says:

Made these yesterday, and they are delish! I had some millet that has been languishing in my pantry because I don’t like it as is. But, I absolutely love the crunch of it in these muffins. Mmmm.

I am so excited to hear that, Shannon! It was my first experience with millet – and I want to try some more recipes now! Someone told me about millet cakes, like a risotto cake. Sounded really good!

5. If we REALLY have no time for breakfast, I pack a small bag of homemade granola and have my chidren eat it while sipping on a yogurt (tiny hole for a tiny straw to avoid MAJOR drops!)…
    I’ll try your birdseed recipe soon. Always looking for something new!!

6. These look great! I have never tried baking with millet, but I think I need to give it a try soon.

Thanks for submitting this to the Kitchen Bootcamp challenge!

7. Pingback: Kitchen Bootcamp Roundup – Grains and Legumes | my kitchen addiction

8. Andrea Miles says:

Where do you find millet? Is it near the flour, sugar and spices? In all grocery stores or just in special grocery stores like Whole Foods?

Hi Andrea,
      We got ours from the bulk bin at Whole Foods, but I think you can probably get it online. Bob’s Red Mill has some great items available that way…

9. Aggie says:

I have a bag of millet in the pantry that I recently bought with the hopes to make these…I’ve been eying this recipe since I picked up her book! I love that your kids call them birdseed muffins, I think I’m going to steal that :)

10. Pingback: Bird Seed for Breakfast | What's Cooking With Kids