Virtual Picnic for the Planet: Happy Earth Day (& Kale Chips)

Virtual Picnic Earth DaySome people think about the Earth every day.  But the rest of us need reminders every now and again.  And that’s where Earth Day comes in.  It’s like one of those Hallmark holidays like Valentine’s day – something that is part of our culture and gets a lot of attention.  But hey – that’s okay.  We should be thinking about how we impact this place we call home.

To celebrate, I am part of a Virtual Picnic for the planet.  Of course, my picnic food of choice is Kale Chips.  You have heard me talk about them before.  I’m a bit of a junkie (and preacher, in fact).  They are just that good.

Kale chips are a perfect Earth Day food, too.  You might be wondering if I am off my rocker – but I can clearly explain.  If we are supposed to be thinking about Mother Earth on Earth Day, what better for her health than to eat a food made from all natural ingredients.  Nobody can argue with eating kale leaves tossed in olive oil instead of a package of fried chips that have been processed and transported all over the country to get to your picnic blanket.  Right?  So go ahead – be proud to eat these chips.

But these kale chips come with a warning.  Reports from parents indicate that they cause strange behavior in their children.  Otherwise ordinary children have been known to call their fathers and ask them to pick up kale on their way home from work.  Others have procrastinated doing their homework to flip through the pages of The Whole Family Cookbook, and have declared that they MUST have kale chips with dinner…Consider this a simple cautionary tale.  Your children may display similar behavior.

Kale

Food for My Family | Homemade Potato Chips and Avocado Ranch Dip
Sugarcrafter |Apple Hand Pies
Tickled Red | Tangy Potato Salad
What’s Cooking with Kids | Kale Chips
Confessions of a Cookbook Queen | Mini Lemonade Cakes
TidyMom | Picnic Pies in a Jar

This entry was posted in Eco-Friendly, Holidays and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Virtual Picnic for the Planet: Happy Earth Day (& Kale Chips)

1. Pingback: Earth Day Picnic for the Planet Recipe - Peach Sangria Cocktail | Dine and Dish

2. Tickled Red says:

Kale chips rock!! I wish that were were all closer today so that I could eat half of the batch with you :)

3. Pingback: Earth Day Picnic (Friday Favorites) | my kitchen addiction

4. Kristen says:

I can now attest to how delicious these are – seriously we were all fighting over the last few bites!

5. I keep meaning to make these. You’ve just reminded me it’s GOT to happen this weekend! Thanks so much for being part of the picnic, Michelle.

6. Pingback: Earth Day Virtual Picnic – Apple Hand Pies | Sugarcrafter

7. Wenderly says:

I’ve never made kale chips but I think that I must!

8. Tracy says:

I love kale chips! Easy and so healthy! Yum!

9. Pingback: Pie in a Jar Picnic Food | TidyMom

10. Pingback: honey ginger lemonade | a virtual picnic for the planet | gourmandeinthekitchen.com

11. Love these, I can’t stop eating them. In fact I’ve got some Kale in the fridge right now to make these!

12. nopinkhere says:

We love kale chips! We also make collard chips and chard chips, too.
    I like to toss on a little bit of shredded Parmesan or mozzarella for the last couple of minutes of cooking. (Usually done at the point when I check them, but they aren’t quite done.) Warning: these get soggy if you save them, so you need to eat them all!

13. Full confession I’ve never had kale chips! Can we still be friends? =)

Now we definitely need to picnic together.

14. Pingback: Cheesecake in a Jar Recipe | My Baking Addiction

15. I keep meaning to make Kale Chips, but for some reason they always slip my mind.

16. Niki says:

I love kale chips too, great picnic idea. Lately, I’ve been roasting the entire dino kale stalk – tossed in olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt. Addictive. And so super power healthy. :)

17. Pingback: Recipe: Oven Baked Kale Chips - Kid Friendly Veggie Recipe | Dine and Dish

18. Pingback: Foodie Tuesday: Weird but good – Kale chips | Lunchsense