Kids & Kale – An Afterschool Cooking Class

It was nearly freezing here today (which would probably feel relatively balmy to my friends who live in Minnesota and New York).  And it felt like the perfect day to make a batch of hearty soup with my afterschool cooking class.  Luckily for me, this recipe from Jennie came across my radar this morning when I sat down to plan: Kale White Bean Ravioli Soup.  And the best part? I already had every ingredient, and didn’t have to make a special trip to the grocery store.

Kale

RIP, my precious kale plant

I was eager to take advantage of the last remaining leaves on the sad kale plant in my garden.  It had served me well, providing me with many batches of kale chips (and a slightly foul smelling kitchen).

During our cooking class, my first grade students examined every leaf, finding two teensy inch-worms, and loving the fact that we could save the stems for my backyard chickens.  They were especially excited to learn a fun and simple way to strip the leaves from the tough stem so that we could add them to the soup.

It’s tough not to leave work happy when kids are contentedly nibbling on kale leaves and declaring that the finished product is “yummy in my tummy.”

Does your family like kale?  What’s your favorite way to use it?

This entry was posted in Cooking with Kids, Recipes, Teaching, Videos and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Kids & Kale – An Afterschool Cooking Class

1. Tracy says:

Sounds like a lovely recipe! I usually use kale to make kale chips myself…so much better than potato chips!

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Cooking, Kids & Kale – An Afterschool Class | What's Cooking With Kids -- Topsy.com

3. Kristen says:

You’ve got a great job, that’s for sure!

4. Renee says:

Wow –a still-growing kale plant. My garden has been covered with snow since early December, and I think we got our first hard freeze in late October this year :-)

5. Mindy says:

I love kale, but my husband and daughter are only so-so on it. I like to put it in soups or just sautee it with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and red pepper flakes.

6. naomi says:

I wish we had someone like you in Southern California for my little guy and his friends! Your classes are great.

7. Samantha says:

I am definitely going to have to make this! Thanks!

8. i just found a way to enjoy kale tonight! i’ve tried it in soups, in beans, sauteed with onions and garlic, nope. too chewy. Tonight i removed the stems, sliced it thin and added it to mixed greens. We ate it raw in chef salad with ranch. Best kale i’ve had. problem is, it will take two entree salads to consume a small farmers market size kale for a family of four. guess that means the other half will still end up in the soup or bean pot…

9. Ingrid says:

I’m going to try this for sure!

10. My friend made a Potato, Kale and Kielbasa casserole for our freezer exchange group a few months back. I was super skeptical of it because we have not enjoyed kale in the past. It was SO good and we ALL ate it…I was actually craving some the other day so may have to make it again soon–great comfort food too! (p.s. the recipe is from Epicurious)

11. I started sneaking kale into smoothies (You can hide anything with orange juice, banana and a vita-mix) and then progressed to a saute’ with sweet corn, red pepper and olive oil. Now, we just munch on kale chips like popcorn. Looking forward to getting your cookbook in April.