January will Rule (Better Eating Habits and a Scone Recipe)

There’s nothing quite like finding someone who is supportive and inspiring.  Andrew is one such fellow.  He shares many of my philosophies on food and pushes me to go even further than I might on my own.  I loved participating in his October Unprocessed challenge with a video about keeping backyard chickens and am very excited to join his new challenge, January Rules.

Sometimes feeding my family can seem overwhelming, especially since I spend the majority of most afternoons schlepping my kids all over town between appointments, extra-curricular activities and playdates.  But having a few guidelines in mind helps me stay focused and make better food choices.  Here’s the premise of the January Rules challenge:

• When you eat grains, eat only 100% whole grains.
  • Don’t eat high fructose corn syrup.
  • Don’t eat hydrogenated oils, trans fats, or anything that’s been deep-fried.
  • There’s also an important corollary: Once a week, go ahead and “cheat.” Eat anything you want. (Thank goodness – because every now and again, I just HAVE to have chips or French Fries.)

oat cherry scones

With just 2 days left of our winter break, I thought I’d spend some of my rainy Saturday making some treats that will ease our kids into their back to school morning routine.  I adapted this scone recipe to fit the January Rules challenge, and made a few whole grain substitutions.

Have you made any eating or food related New Year’s resolutions?  I’d love to read about them in the comments section below – and then maybe we can hold each other accountable.  How ’bout it?

This entry was posted in Family Mealtime, Recipes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to January will Rule (Better Eating Habits and a Scone Recipe)

1. I love ‘oatmeal’ scones. They’re some of my favorites. Great advice, Michelle!

2. Gina says:

Love these rules, although the “nothing fried” one is hard some weeks. We rarely have anything fried so the “cheat once a week” rule rocks!

Our food resolution this year is to make healthy foods easier on ourselves. I’ve got a couple ideas in mind of new things we’ll be trying soon. We’ll see how it goes.

I’m looking forward to hearing if other parents have resolutions around food or eating – thanks for asking, Michelle!

I have to admit, Gina, that while these rules are pretty easy, I can’t promise that we’ll cheat only once a week! For example, we made pasta for the kids – and used what we had already. It wasn’t whole grain, that’s for sure… Oh well – I suppose as long as we are trying and are doing better than in the past, we are off to a good start :-)

3. Wenderly says:

I love scones! These sound delish!

After eating them this morning, I realized they would probably be amazing if I added a bit of lemon zest…Hmmm. Back to the kitchen?

4. Carrie Minns says:

Michelle, I cannot wait to try this recipe! I love scones but with the “white flour/butter thing” going on with them makes it hard to justify making them when we’re trying to eat healthy. Thank you for posting this!

5. Liz the Chef says:

A great start to a healthy year ahead – where does one find “oat flour” – Whole Foods?

Hi Liz – I found our oat flour in our neighborhood market. They have a nice selection of Bob’s Red Mill flours… Yes, Whole Foods also has it :)

• Sheila Crye says:

In a pinch you can make oat flour by whizzing it around in the food processor set up with the metal blade for a minute or two.

I have made a million resolutions..and am actually mentally prepared to keep them! Normally I give up.. but being pregnant and wanting to be so proactive in my kids health, I am really sticking to it!!

Blessings-
    Amanda

7. Ingrid says:

I love the healthy recipes!

8. My love is oats, my husband’s is cherries — these will be perfect for us!

Thanks!

9. I’ve made several food-related resolutions this year for myself and my family! Eight to be exact. A few of them include:

–Learn to make some of our favorite foods from scratch (and thereby healthier) and find quick and easy ways to do it.
    –Add more vegetable side dishes to our meals.

–Have the kids help me plan and cook meals more often.

–Develop a global palate by learning to make foods from different countries and learn more about those countries.

I would love to join with you and your food resolutions to help encourage and share our commitment to those changes. Great idea!

10. Pingback: An Update on January Rules :: Eating Rules