Kids, Cookies, and Sharing – A Drop In and Decorate Event

Michelle Stern and daughter with cookie

Me & my daughter

You probably already know this by now, but I am a community service junkie.  I do it purely for selfish reasons – I get a total rush when I do a project with kids that helps the less fortunate.  Well, maybe it’s not really for selfish reasons…it is, after all, helping people and teaching kids how to be a contributing member to society.  Whatever.  The point is, I love it.  And when I find a good opportunity to get kids doing the right thing, I pounce.

Girl decorating cookies

Decorating a cookie with "love"

Yesterday, I hosted a Drop In and Decorate cookie decorating party.  My house was filled with a gaggle of kids, all of whom arrived with cookies in hand.  And then we set to work, decorating the cookies, all of which are being donated to Homeward Bound of Marin, who will deliver them to needy families tomorrow, on Thanksgiving day.

While the cooking-with-kids part is very comfortable for me, it’s a little embarrassing to admit how clueless I am about how to decorate cookies. Thank goodness I have some friends who are wise in the way of making cookies absolutely beautiful.

The icing on the cake (cookie?) - Williams-Sonoma sent me a generous care packaged, filled with squeeze bottles, colored sanding sugars, and other decorations.  And Sur La Table even handed me a box of decorating squeeze bottles when I visited their store and told them about the event. I love stores that care about making a difference!

girl decorating cookiesboy decorating cookies

cookies decorated by kids

Creativity and Compassion

WilliamsSonoma

This entry was posted in Community Service, Cooking with Kids and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Kids, Cookies, and Sharing – A Drop In and Decorate Event

1. How fun seeing the beautifully decorated cookies. This is such a great program.

Thanks Kalyn, Lael, Amanda and Jen – it was an amazing day! Three Cheers for Lydia for inspiring such awesomeness from the community!

2. What a great program and thank you for the blog. My daughter and her friends are baking for a bake sale where the proceeds will benefit children in Haiti. However, she hadn’t thought of decorating the cookies. Thank you for the inspiration.

WOW!!! Great job!! I love it!

4. Those cookies look great! And it sounds like it was a blast. What a fabulous way to serve!

5. Lydia says:

Fantastic! It looks like you had a wonderful time, and the cookies are (of course) little jewels that will make so many families happy. Thank you, and thanks to everyone who came to decorate!

6. Homeward Bound appreciates this wonderful gift for our residents!

Maura – it was our pleasure! I can’t wait for this year’s SOUP event…and my book party! Let’s brainstorm dates soon.

7. naomi says:

What a great program and what a fun way to teach kids about giving.

Love the pic of you and your daughter! y

Thanks Naomi! We had a great day – such a simple way to give back and teach kids to do the same. Yummy too! xoxo

8. Gail says:

You’re training them very well! Beautiful job of cookie decorating for a wonderful cause.

Thanks Gail and Colleen! I’ll have another post (along with a special surprise) coming in a couple of weeks. Lots and lots more photos…

9. Colleen says:

Nice work, ladies! Love the Turkey cookie- So pretty! You guys are just amazing. Happy Thanksgiving! Hugs to all of you.

10. Kristen says:

How did those squeeze bottles end up working out for you!
    This is one of my favorite causes. I love Drop in and Decorate!

The squeeze bottles were great – but were quite a challenge to fill because of their very narrow openings. I had to fill a wider bottle and squeeze it into the skinny one. Not the most efficient strategy, but it worked!

11. Wow…they look great! Drop in and Decorate is such a cool organization!