Comfort Food for a Child with New Braces (Applesauce recipe)

girl getting braces

The other day, our almost 10 year old got braces.  She was very brave and even gave me permission to take this scary photo.  But watching her in the chair gave me flashbacks to my own days of having a mouth full of metal – and the soreness and discomfort that went with it.  It was time to plan some menus filled with soft foods that she would enjoy but that wouldn’t add to her pain.

It wasn’t the best timing, considering our apple tree is bursting with fruit.  Gone are the days that she can take a big bite into one of these…

apples on a tree

Luckily, I have a great recipe for apple sauce (below), so she won’t feel like she is missing out.  She and I brainstormed a bit and came up with several suggestions for meals that she would enjoy:

Breakfast: yogurt or kefir, scrambled eggs, oatmeal or cream of wheat, waffles or pancakes, smoothies, zucchini bread

Lunch: quesadillas, tuna, grilled cheese (but not too hard and toasty), soup, fruit, soft pretzels

Sides or Snacks: guacamole or hummus with cucumber slices, polenta, rice, roasted squash or sweet potatoes, baked potato, gnocchi, bananas, mandarin oranges, grapes, stone fruit, sliced

Dinner: quiche or frittata, dumplings or pot stickers, homemade macaroni and cheese, grilled fish, tamales

Dessert: milk shakes (of course!), raisin rice custard, tapioca, pudding, chocolate mousse (fancy, huh?) and frozen yogurt

Note:  Teachers can make this recipe with their students in the classroom.  Simply use a crock pot and let the sauce cook on low for as long as you desire.  But be warned, you will make the whole school smell good, so be ready to have other students and teachers come begging for a taste.

This entry was posted in Family Mealtime, Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Comfort Food for a Child with New Braces (Applesauce recipe)

1. Kristen says:

Look at how beautiful she is! Those braces look absolutely natural on her!

2. Robyn says:

She is beautiful! I’m so glad you posted this. We’ll be headed there before I know it. Bookmarked it under braces food. :)

Thanks!
    Robyn

3. Awh…she is so cute! I agree with Kristen, she does look very natural.
    And what a great menu you have planned for her.
    ~Liz

4. Thanks Kristen, Robyn and Liz! I was surprised at how teensy the brackets are for kids, compared to the huge metal hunks we dealt with when we were younger. The best part is that she got to pick the color of the little rubber bands that hold the wire in place. She picked a different shade of blue for each one!
    And she loved the home-made mac and cheese :-)

5. Jodi says:

Thanks for a great recipe, perfect timing since we just went apple picking yesterday!!

6. Tickled Red says:

She is absolutely gorgeous! What a great post as well. I know a lot of friends who have struggled with what to feed their children through this trying time. I love your suggestions.

7. Hi Michelle,
    Another great post. Wondering if you’d mind if I linked to you from my new site, clunki.com?
    We are working on foods suitable for modified diets of all kinds, and soft foods are a particular focus at the moment.
    We had been thinking primarily about patients recovering from stroke, or dealing with motor neurone disease or cerebral palsy, I hadn’t even thought of the dental angle….
    What do you think?

8. Ingrid says:

Great idea! My little girl is going to need braces too! I keep these in mind! Love applesauce!

9. Great post! I have twin boys who will be getting braces soon and I hadn’t thought about what to feed them.

10. Hey- You have to hand it to Amelia- not everyone can look so gorgeous with their mouth propped open with lip retractors! Braces are better now, so hopefully Amelia was only a little sore for a couple of days (she was smiling when she came in today! ;-)) but the soft food recipes are a great idea throughout treatment to keep the braces/wires in the right place. Maybe we can get you to do a full-scale version of the soft food for braces recipes?

11. i need braces and im only 9

12. emmajane says:

im afraid to get braces because im afraid they are gonna hurt when they are on me

• ally says:

don’t worry i just got my braces 3 days ago and it really doesn’t hurt at all.It just feels like pressure.Also if your worried about it poking you they give you a waxy substance to cover it. In fact I just put some on a minute ago!

13. Katie says:

Thank you so much! I get braces in August, and these recipes take away the “What to eat” issue. Thanks again!

14. abigail says:

thank you so much for the ideas, im trying to help my mom with ideas for lunch since I just got my braces about 6 hours ago, and im so excited to try the apple sauce!

15. Elle Smith says:

Thanks for this amazing recipe I just got my braces and thought I would have to give this up! thank you me and my mum made the sauce and it tasted AMAZING! good luck and thanks so much

Elle Smith – 14