It has been a good year for What’s Cooking! I have met amazing people and have accomplished things that I never thought possible.
Here are a few highlights of 2010 – a good place to start if you are just getting to know me and my mission:
- Readers started sharing their amazing stories about their experiences in the kitchen with family in our new series, What’s Cooking with YOUR Kids. Here’s how you can participate, too.
- A group of parents in our school district began the tedious journey of trying to improve the food that children are being fed in our local schools. We have seen some huge improvements (salad bars and bulk condiments) and have had some setbacks, of course (personality clashes, unmet expectations). All of our School Lunch Reform posts can be found here.
- I attended the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) conference in Portland and facilitated an amazing hands on cooking workshop with chefs and local children where we cooked for the homeless.
- I was offered a book deal, and after many months of pinching myself, The Whole Family Cookbook will be in stores this April!
- I was invited to the White House to attend the launch of Michelle Obama’s Chefs Move to Schools program. Here’s the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly…
- We continued to support the community by doing cooking classes with children to help the less fortunate. Beneficiaries were Share our Strength, Homeward Bound of Marin, and the Marin Humane Society.
- And of course, I have cooked with kids. A lot. If you need any suggestions, try making these potato gnocchi, wonton cups, or layered cake with lemon curd.
I can’t help but wonder what’s in store in 2011. My book will come out and I’ll be exploring the idea of turning part of What’s Cooking into a nonprofit organization. Stay tuned – I am thrilled to have you as part of the journey.
Is there anything you’d like to see here in the coming months?
Wishing you and your family a happy and safe new year,
Get a FREE Cook & Learn Activity!
As a subscriber, you'll get free Cook and Learn Activities with kids, simple recipes and special offers delivered right to your inbox!